Friday, November 6, 2009

Michael Smith

Have you all been to the Crossroads District lately? Granted we went on a First Friday, but it was busy!! There were people around! In downtown Kansas City. After dark! I haven't seen that in a long time. It really gives me hope for revitalizing downtown.

Anyway, I digress. We went to Michael Smith after hearing great things about it. One person I know said that when she and her husband went they cut their food into tiny bites so that it would last as long as possible. Now THAT'S a review.

I was however, slightly tentative on going. I've been to the restaurants he used to be at - American and 40 Sardines - and wasn't all that impressed. The American had pretty good food, but WAY overpriced for what it was. And it's in major need of a remodel, although the 80s are back in style again, so maybe mauve and brass will work for them. 40 Sardines was ... you know I can't remember the food. I just remember wanting to get out of there because it was so loud Scott and I couldn't hear each other. So, we walked in curious and not expecting to be blown away.

I love pleasant surprises.

First let me tell you that the feel of the place is perfect. It's definitely modern - exposed pipes and ducts, cement walls - but they softened the starkness that can come from such a contemporary place. The floors are carpeted, which helped the sound issue out a ton, and the cement walls were painted a warm blue/green/grey color (I'm sure the color has a name, but I'm a foodie not a decorator.) It's much more softened than 40 Sardines, but still no where near as stuffy as The American.

The menu isn't huge. It's darn right small in fact. But the food is interesting! In a good way. Not there's-no-way-I'm-going-to-eat-that interesting. Interesting in that it's food not seen on most menus. Not that I've seen anyway.

I chose to get 2 starters instead of an entree. I got a salad with cauliflower, arugula, and beets in a mustard vinaigrette and braised rabbit with homemade gnocchi. The salad is something I wouldn't have ever come up with in my own home. The flavors all complimented themselves so well. Very well composed. And the rabbit. Yum!! It reminded me of something from my childhood but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I think it was just a very well done comfort food that made me remember my childhood in general.

Scott got the 8-hour pork roast with risotto and fried zucchini. Every morsel on his plate was so tasty! And again, every element of the dish was complimentary. It would not have been the same meal if you would swap out a side.

All of this to say that Michael Smith is a talented man and I will follow him to any restaurant he opens.

1 comment:

  1. I love Michael - I'm going to have to remember that place for our next date night. Only no bunnies for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete